Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Tile Pendant Necklace

I didn't create the wheel on this one. It's been done a millions times or two, but just in case you haven't seen this idea, here is my take on it.

I started with an old scrabble game I picked up at a yard sale for $1.00. I made sure to use the letters that I would more than likely not use in another project.
If you want to paint the edges of the tile first, go ahead and do that now. I'm OCD and wouldn't wear a black necklace with a brown shirt so I left the edges wooden so my OCD self can wear it with anything! The process is pretty simple.



After the tile was dry, I sanded the edges a bit to make it a little distressed then I added a layer of Mod Podge's sister, Dimensional Magic. If you aren't familiar with this product, it's amazing. Once you put it on, you will think it is goofed up, but it dries clear and super shiny.



Once the tile was dry, I used E-6000 glue to attach it to the shank then threaded it and 2 silver beads onto a silver snake chain that purchased at Hob Lob.


After I made the ones with scrapbook paper, I decided to print an image of my little guy at .85"x.85" on my computer and try it. Whadaya know? I love it the most!





The finish is much better than it photographs. The Dimensional Magic is super thick and shiny and grabs all the light it can.

**Be sure to follow My Pretties to be featured on an upcoming post!

Visit thecsiproject.comShow and Tell GreenMake it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here  – (September 1, 2010 at 8:38 PM)  

These are so cute and I love the high gloss shine. I will be on the look-out for product. Thanks for the inspiration!
Hugs, Sherry

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife  – (September 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM)  

Super cute!! These would make such awesome gifts!

Kelley  – (September 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM)  

I LOVE scrabble tile oendants...have made quite a few. Yours turned out fabulous!

Katie  – (September 3, 2010 at 11:15 PM)  

Fun! I've been wanting to make some of those for a long time. I should more of an effort to find some tiles on ebay. I already have diamond glaze and all the other supplies.

Unknown  – (September 9, 2010 at 9:55 AM)  

I've always wanted to do this...but was a little intimidated by the "jewelry" idea. Your steps were so simple and to the point...I think I'm off to Hobby Lobby now!

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama  – (September 16, 2010 at 12:57 PM)  

I love the pendant of your little boy,, and the addition of the silver beads at the top. Sooo pretty. I had to laugh about the black/brown OCD comment,, my youngest daughter gives me heck if I try to wear brown and black together.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.