Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Iced in and making the most of it

Late last week the weather man was predicting 4-8" of snow in our area of Alabama. That is epic for this area so of course there wasn't a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk left in the grocery stores. I prepared by getting EZ Cheese and chocolate chip cookies. And new gloves, boots and hat for my little guy. $110.00 later, I was prepared for the Blizzard of 2010. That was until my husband got called into work to be prepared for power outages and computer issues that may arise. We got him packed in about 10 minutes and he was out the door as the sleet and freezing rain started. I sat there for about 3 minutes and decided I didn't want to be stuck at home so I threw a few things in a laundry basket and headed to my mom's house. Her house is like a Hobby Lobby, Lowe's, Walmart, Thrift Store all in one. I knew she was prepared and could keep us busy.

Last night, I started a quilt and actually finished the top this morning... 42 squares later. Then we started making more felt donuts. Then we made Santa Fe Soup- YUM! Then we made a few bracelets. Then we made Boiled Oatmeal Cookies. Have you ever had those things? Oh. My. Goodness. They are some count for real! I'm just doing my civic duty and providing you with the recipe today just in case you've never had them. I promise you... make them! You won't be disappointed!


Photo Courtesy of Google Images. I brought my camera but didn't bring my card reader- whoops!

Ingredients:

3 cups of quick cooking oats
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup of butter or margarine
1/2 cup of milk
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

In a 2 quart saucepan stir together sugar, butter, milk, and cocoa
Stir just until butter melts and sugar is mixed in. Do not stir anymore
This is the MOST important step and if not done correctly, the cookies will not harden. Stir only until the mixture starts to bubble then STOP stirring and allow to boil
When mixture comes to a FULL ROLLING BOIL set a timer and cook for 3 minutes.
Remove from heat
Stir in peanut butter, vanilla, and oats
Drop by teaspoon onto wax paper or pour into an 8x8 baker and cut into squares.

Let them cool and then eat... or don't even let them cool... just get a spoon and dig right in. Your welcome! I know you'll be thanking me later!

I'm going to do a few posts on the other projects we've done today as soon as the roads thaw and I can get home. Although, I've enjoyed being back "home" and sleeping in my old room and crafting all day with my mom.

Heather  – (January 11, 2011 at 10:53 AM)  

Although the weather sounds horrible, it sure seems like you were doing lots of fun things. I'll be anxious to see all the goodies!

The Three Beauties  – (January 11, 2011 at 4:29 PM)  

My husband has been talking about these no bake cookies he had as a kid and I have never been able to find a recipe. Thank you, Thank you!!!!

Krishna  – (January 14, 2011 at 12:11 AM)  

We almost went to my mom's for "Snowmageddon 2011" Since we didn't go over there for the actual snow days, we got together yesterday & today & had a sewathon to make our girls spring/summer outfits. Isn't crafting great with your mom? It is with mine! Those are my dad's favorite cookies, we actually call them Billy's cookies at our houses.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.