Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Coton Colors Copy Cat

Hey there my pretty readers! I hope you are doing great! In my little world, I got a terrible toothache last week and tried so hard to tough it out. I think my mom got tired of hearing about it and being the baby that I am and avoiding making an appointment at an oral surgeon, she did it for me. I ended up having an abscessed wisdom tooth and had them removed on Wednesday. It really wasn't bad and my recovery was only painfully boring. So today I'm feeling pretty good and was determined to get my DIY in.

I have always loved the Happy Everything collection by Coton Colors Pottery. I would always oooohhh and ahhhh over them in boutiques and gift shops but the price tag would never let me take one home.

Image from Coton Colors Pottery

Isn't it cute? I really do think it is $45.00 cute but I'm loving my $0.75 version. I'll give you the how-to now!

I picked up this wreath/wall hanging thing at the thrift store for $0.75 yesterday. When I saw those scallops, I immediately remembered the Coton Colors piece and had to have it.


After scraping off the remains of what had to have once been a heart or a goose in 1987, it was ready for primer and paint.


Luckily (or not so luckily, however you want to look at it) for me, it's 98 degrees here and spray paint dries in just a sec. Very quicklu, I'm ready to start with the good stuff.


I used a spray paint can lid to lightly trace circles onto my wreath. I just kind of did them randomly letting some of them fall off the edge.



Then I picked my colors (red, pink, green, yellow and blue) and started filling in the circles. It did take 2 coats to get good, full coverage.


While that was drying I came to Photoshop and printed out the word "Welcome" in a cute, chunky font. If you aren't familiar with my redneck version of tracing, let me show you.

Print out your word/shape/whatever and make sure it fits your space.



Then flip it to the back side. Put your paper up to a glass door or window and trace the outline of the image with pretty heavy lead.



Once you have it all done, lay your piece back down and scribble all over the back of it with the pencil. Be careful not to let it move any.



Lift it up and you should have a light outline to follow. You can fill it in with pencil if all your lines didn't connect.


After I had my lines down, I just went over them with a black paint marker. I actually filled them in with paint marker, but you could use black paint if you have a steady hand.


Then I just looped a black satin ribbon around it and hung it up. I think this one is going to find it's new home on my front door for a little while!


So fun and happy-- just like me, unless you were around for the pre-wisdom tooth removal days!





Check out the link parties tab to see where I am sharing this week!

Alice  – (July 15, 2011 at 9:51 PM)  

Oh man, I needed this red-neck stenciling tip since I don't have any of those fance, new-fangled machines! :) Thanks.

The Stratton Family  – (July 17, 2011 at 7:04 PM)  

Love your blog! I'm a new follower! I'd love it if you came and linked up to Lovely Little Snippets!
Stefanie
lovelylittlesnippets.blogspot.com

btanders  – (July 18, 2011 at 9:05 AM)  

Cute! Simple and striking. Love it!

Unknown  – (July 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM)  

I am in love with that wreath! I too love Coton Colors but not the price.

If you ask me, I like yours better! :) I'm going to be on the lookout for a wreath like this!

AnneK  – (January 26, 2018 at 8:33 AM)  
This comment has been removed by the author.
AnneK  – (January 26, 2018 at 8:35 AM)  

This is darling! What font did you choose? Great work!

Unknown  – (January 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM)  

What is the font that you used?

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.