Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Paint Chip Art

I have been thinking of how I could add a little bit of color to our hallway that is basically a square with 4 doors. There isn't room for furniture to hold accessories. I can't use shelves because I'm almost positive I would get a concussion as I knock them off during one of my half asleep trips to the restroom in the middle of the night. The only way to go was wall art. Since there are so many doors, I only had an area about 18" wide to work with Worse than that, I had a budget of $0.00. I was trying really hard to not buy anything and re-purpose things I already have or use something someone was giving away.

Walmart gave me this art. Well, not exactly but kind of. I wanted to do an art piece using cut up paint chips and while I was in Walmart, I decided that I was going to attack. I headed to the paint isle and was trying to nonchalantly browse a few colors and grab as many as I needed. I seriously felt like I was going to hear a CODE RED alert over the intercom at any second. I would take a few, fumble in my purse, add them to the stash and then do it all over again. I know they are free, I just felt like I was violating some painter's code and was paranoid that security was going to cart me off to a dark little room in the back and confiscate my paint chips. Luckily, I made it out of there without any incident and was on my way to creating my new art.

I had a simple black 11x14 frame tucked away in my stash, half a piece of left over foam core board from my little guys school project and my stash in my purse.

I drew out the shape of the frame on the foam core board using the glass as a guide and then drew another box on the inside to use as my guide for placing them.

Then I began cutting up the paint chips into small pieces from about 1/4" to 1/2". I didn't measure them, I just started cutting them randomly with my paper cutter.

After I got all eleventy-billion pieces cut, I started on the first row, starting at the bottom and Mod Podged it down. I moved up the row overlapping them similar to shingles on a roof making sure to keep the left and right sides aligned. After I finished the first row I moved onto the 2nd row until my box was filled.


After they were all down, I put a layer of Mod Podge all over the top to seal the deal.




After it had dried, I used an Xacto knife to cut out the foam core to the size of my frame and finished it up.







I think it looks great against the brown walls but its looking a little bare still. I may try to find 3 matching frames and make 3 and hang them vertically on the wall just to give it a little more oomph. On second thought, I'm still a little bit afraid to go back to Walmart's paint section so this one just might have to do.



Sumo Sweet Stuff The Girl Creativemmm button

BWS tips button MakingVisit thecsiproject.com

- Brittany aka Pretty Handy Girl  – (August 31, 2010 at 8:06 AM)  

That is so cool! Love how it looks. Have you seen David Bromstad's wall behind his sofa in last season's Color Splash? This reminds me of that wall. Very artsy, thanks for sharing.

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

Bumblebee and Sophie  – (August 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM)  

Oh my gosh! I am seriously IN LOVE. With this idea! I am a lover of colors-can never pick or choose one particular one and this is such a great way to display all the ones that i love or am drawn to. I am going to have to copy you on this one. LOVE IT!

Yanet @ 3 Sun Kissed Boys  – (August 31, 2010 at 8:59 AM)  

That's a good idea to do with all the many paint chips I have collected through the years. Maybe I'll try it with the paint colors I've used in my homes.

Maggie  – (August 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM)  

That is fabulous! Great idea.

Kristin  – (August 31, 2010 at 12:58 PM)  

First of all, LOVE your blog name! Secondly you are incredibly talented and last, thanks for linking up w/ MFM!

Lori  – (August 31, 2010 at 2:33 PM)  

Love it. I LOVE IT! I want to do one now, but I have 15 current unfinished projects. But I so totally want to do one now.

AliceAnderson  – (August 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM)  

Oh, I like! Something to do with all the color card rejects. :)

Unknown  – (August 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM)  

Love this idea! Very graphic statement.

Anonymous –   – (September 1, 2010 at 3:40 AM)  

Great art work and I love your use of Mod Podge for this project!

Amy Jo  – (September 1, 2010 at 10:27 AM)  

How funny! I love the art work. What if you stop at Lowes and then Home Depot for the next two frames? I think 3 would look lovely in your hallway. :) I feel the same way about taking paint chips.... Thanks for following me! That made my day!

Kristin - The Goat  – (September 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM)  

What fun! I have always had a soft spot in my heart for paint chip art projects.

My suggestion for your the other frames - spread out a bit. You can go to KMart, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot and Ace Hardware LOL I went to Sherwin Williams fairly recently and they gave me an entire paint deck for free. It was like heaven!

Kristin _ The Goat

Terrell  – (September 1, 2010 at 4:38 PM)  

Such a fun and fabulous idea!! You go girl! :D I am happy to be your newest follower of your adorable blog! I'd love to have you as a friend at Frou Frou Decor! I would also like to invite you to link up at my weekly Fabulous Finds party..every Friday - Sunday! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Mandi @ Vintage Revivals  – (September 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM)  

I love how this turned out! There is something about walmart that makes you feel guily even when you shouldnt...I use the automotive checkout and almost chicken out everytime. Partying w/ you from CSI

love your guts
mandi

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants  – (September 1, 2010 at 10:25 PM)  

I love using paint chips! This really turned out nice!

Bliss Bloom Blog  – (September 2, 2010 at 1:41 AM)  

This is a great idea! The colors that you chose are perfect.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife  – (September 2, 2010 at 3:24 AM)  

What a brilliant idea!! It turned out SO great. Way to go!

Mad in Crafts  – (September 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM)  

I love paint chip art. I have a total soft spot for it! Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Mad in Crafts  – (September 5, 2010 at 5:53 PM)  

This was one of my favorite projects at last week's Mad Skills party, so I will be featuring it tomorrow morning!

madincrafts.blogspot.com

Holly  – (September 14, 2010 at 12:29 PM)  

Okay, that is so cool! It looks great!
I used to be afraid to take "too many" paint chips too, until I was with my sister one time and she pretty much took one of every color and nobody seemed to care. Now I take as many as I want!

Hazel Terry  – (October 7, 2010 at 2:51 PM)  

Hello
Thank you for finding my Dulux colour charts, I love all the other ideas made with this wonderful resource.
They are a great colour tonic.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.