Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Paper Reed Frame

I needed my daily dose of DIY Saturday morning so I decided to make this cute little frame that I saw in a book in Barnes & Noble Friday night. Does anyone but me enjoy date night to the book store? It was relatively quick and easy to make so I wanted to share the how-to with you guys!


Supplies:
Old Catalogs
A basic frame
Mod Podge
A skinny skewer stick
A glue stick
Scissors

Start by tearing out the pages of a magazine. Don't worry too much about the rough edges. They will get rolled up. I began tearing them out of a Ballard catalog and quickly realized that the reeds were looking a little too monochromatic for my taste so I found an old issue of Pottery Barn Teen to inject a little color in the mix.
Once you have torn out the pages cut them in half lengthwise.

Here comes the boring fun part. Grab a cold drink and a seat on the sofa for this one cause it's gonna take a minute. Make sure that the side of the page you want to actually show is face down. Place your skewer at an angle of the bottom corner of the page like this...


Begin rolling and as you roll keep pulling the skewer out the end so it doesn't get trapped inside. I'm just saying. I guess that could happen, not that I know anything about that.



Once you get pretty close to the end, use a glue stick and dab a bit of glue on the page to help seal it and finish wrapping it up.


Start a pile and keep going. When you think you have enough, make 15 more. Some of them unroll after you cut them once you cut lower than you glued.



Once you have rolled all your pages, lay them out onto the surface that you are covering.


See, here I thought I had enough. Turns out, I needed to make more.

Paint a layer of Mod Podge onto the frame and start placing your reeds how you want them. I suggest cutting them once you have sized them up but if you need to trim after they are glued down, that's okay too.



If you have sides that will be visible, cover those too.


I decided to add a frame to the frame just to cover up some of my ends that didn't want to lay exactly right then I gave the whole thing a coat of Mod Podge to give it a little shine and hardness.


Lay it out to dry a bit so your reeds don't wiggle out of place.


During the boring part drying action, you can clean up your mess and go find the cutest picture you can of you and your sweetie.



After its dried a while, pop in your photo and admire your handiwork.




Get to rolling!

Sumo Sweet Stuff The Girl Creativemmm button

BWS tips button MakingVisit thecsiproject.com

Sew Can Do  – (August 30, 2010 at 11:17 AM)  

This is very cool & totally unique. Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday!

Unknown  – (August 30, 2010 at 11:19 AM)  

such a great idea! come on over and link up to MMM!

HBrummett  – (August 30, 2010 at 11:52 AM)  

Thanks for linking upat Making Friends Monday! Thanks for following me! I am a new follower of your great blog! Have a great week! www.livingonloveandcents.blogspot.com

BrettBMartin  – (August 30, 2010 at 1:40 PM)  

love the frame!!


i'm your newest follower from making friends monday


www.mamalovesherbargains.com

Trista  – (August 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM)  

wow, that is too cute. Now I know what to do wit my stash of magazines. Following you from making friends monday.

Anonymous –   – (August 30, 2010 at 3:42 PM)  

I am so not crafty, but I just saw these at a souvenier (sp?) shop in Savannah andi wondered how they made them, lol! Now I know!

Bernice
http://bernicewood.wordpress.com/2010/08/30/lifes-best-lessons-learned-from-our-dogs/

Unknown  – (August 30, 2010 at 9:23 PM)  

thank you for linking up! I am featuring this next Monday! I LOVE it!

Mad in Crafts  – (August 31, 2010 at 10:48 AM)  

Very cool! Thanks for linking up to the Mad Skills party!

Maggie  – (August 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM)  

That is very cool - love the way it turned out.

Unknown  – (August 31, 2010 at 11:42 AM)  

That is a great idea. I love it.

http://froufrugal.blogspot.com

The Deason Family  – (August 31, 2010 at 4:57 PM)  

Kylie wants to know where Austin is in this pic??? Cute frame:)

Kristin - The Goat  – (September 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM)  

I've been wanting to make these rolled magazine tubes, but I honestly didn't realize that it was so easy. Thanks for the fab tutorial :)

Kristin _ The Goat

Unknown  – (September 2, 2010 at 7:55 AM)  

What a great idea!
Following from bloghop...would love to have you follow back!
http://funfritzfamily.blogspot.com/

Michelle @ Sweet Something Design  – (September 2, 2010 at 3:50 PM)  

Beautiful Kristy! I have been wanting to try this type of project too, looks great! Cute couple too! :)

Katie  – (September 3, 2010 at 11:06 PM)  

This is so fun, I love the variety of color and texture you get from the magazine pages. It came out really nicely and I'm with you on the bookstore dates! Prechild me and the hubster would go the the bookstore at least once a week to browse and read mags while sipping a drink. We still go a lot but now we spend a lot more time in the kid's section. I worked for seven years at B&N so I must love them! Would love you to join me at A Crafty Soiree, every Thursday.

Lei  – (September 6, 2010 at 8:33 AM)  

Wow, major flashback! My mom used to outline trashcans with this technique - paper reed, as you call it. And I used to help her! I like it on the frame, though!

Diana  – (February 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM)  

Hi, I just love the frame, it is so cute. I may just make myself one!! Great idea. I have a craft blog at www.imakestuff2.blogspot.com
drop by anytime

Diana

Sarah North  – (April 10, 2011 at 9:54 AM)  

I just bought some cheapy frames at Goodwill...can't wait to try this! Thanks for the easy directions!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.