Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Handpainted Canvas

If you are reading this and you are one of my real life friends who may soon be having babies named Gavin or Reese... stop reading! Just mosey on somewhere else, like Thrifty Decor Chic or The CSI Project or Blue Cricket Designs


Why are y'all two still reading? I told you to move on! Anywho...
Somehow I stumbled upon this tutorial from Lil Blue Boo the other day. When I saw the tutorial piece, I had my canvas and paint out before I could figure out how to spell coincidence. It just so happens that the tutorial piece used an owl theme and the name Gavin, and whaddaya know? I have a friend who will soon become the momma to a sweet baby named Gavin whose room has an owl motif. I mostly used her design as an inspiration piece and didn't so much follow her step by step. I had an 8x10 canvas on hand and figured that would work. I started started by painting the canvas blue then used my redneck tracing method (printing the words off and tracing the back with pencil then rubbing the lead to give me a guide) instead of taking the time to look for my graphite paper. It worked just fine and I was probably done before I could have put my hands on the graphite paper that was invented for this type thing. I finished this one about midnight




and then gave my second canvas a coat of pink to start the next one the next morning. I used the same redneck transfer method to get my letters even and straight and freehanded the rest. A little while later, I ended up with this one too.


It's a lot of painting, drying and painting more to layer it but the end result is worth it. After they were done, I added some white puff paint to embellish them a little more and give them a little depth and texture.



Since the canvases come in a 3 pack and I only know 2 people having babies, I decided to make a Halloween one to go in the kitchen. It's pretty simple but turned out really cute too and gave the kitchen the little touch of Halloween that I couldn't figure out how to inject into the space.




I realized that I have a love-hate relationship with painting. I love to do it. I really do. It's almost therapeutic for me but I struggle with OCD and having everything be perfect. I try to tell myself that paintings are original and unique but that still doesn't quite work. I still get frustrated. I wonder if Picasso ever thought to himself "Crap! That line is crooked!"

Be sure to check out the amazing parties going on here that I'm participating in this week!

Goldilocks  – (October 19, 2010 at 9:13 PM)  

How cute are you? I love them all. You made me want to drag out the paint brush!!

Foote Family  – (October 19, 2010 at 9:45 PM)  

They are adorable!!! I may have to go get some canvases of my own!

Christine {Pure Joy}  – (October 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM)  

So cute! I love the polka dotted letters. I'm coming from Ucreate.

MaryBerry Boutique  – (October 23, 2010 at 7:59 PM)  

you have SUCH an adorable blog! i love these canvas' super cute! i just might make a few for myself:) im your newest follower! i found your blog on ucreate. oh and lol im a total blog junkie and a major ocd freak too!:)

Courtney @ {not so homemade}  – (October 23, 2010 at 8:54 PM)  

ABSOLUTELY LOVE them! Found you over at Ucreate and I'm a new follower! Can't wait to read more :)

Shelayna  – (October 23, 2010 at 11:59 PM)  

Super cute!!

shelblogs.blogspot.com

Lisa  – (October 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM)  

Stopping by from UCreate and she was right! You're hilarious! I also have a love/hate relationship with painting. After taking so many classes in school, I got to the point where I am way too critical about my painting to keep my own work so I give away all my paintings. My parents have some of them hanging in their house and I get anxious every time I look at them!

Anyway, these are super cute!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.