Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

No more lost casserole dishes


I swear I buy at least 3 Pyrex bakers a year. During the holidays, I am always taking a dish somewhere and it seems that I never get my dish back. I either forget to take them or purposefully leave them so that the leftovers can be had by others. Either way, I never have one when I need one. So, my solution... etch my name into it so I am for sure to get it back. And, if I leave it at Granny's and she serves her roast it, I'm not telling anyone I didn't make it.

Etching is so super easy! I first bought the Plaid brand Window Etch. It didn't work... at all. So much for being cheap and getting the cheaper bottle. I was back at Hobby Lobby the next day buying the good stuff. I ended up buying the smallest bottle of Armour Etch and I'm thinking it will last me until I'm 97 years old. It takes very very little of this stuff for it's magic to work.


I started by cleaning my dish well. Then I cut a stencil using my SCAL Software and my Cricut.



After it is done cutting and while it's still on the cutting mat, remove the part of the letters that you want to etch. Be careful to leave the inside of the P's, E's or whatever other letters might have something that needs to stay.



Then put your stencil on the glassware pushing any air bubbles to the edges. Make sure to leave a little room at the top and bottom for drips. Whatever this stuff touches. it's going to etch.


Lay out some etching cream onto a piece of aluminum foil and use a foam brush. I bought these 20 for $1.00 at Michael's a while back.


Make sure that you didn't have any bubbles pop back up then paint on a decent layer of etching cream.


After 10 minutes, freak out wondering if this project failed again then wash it off completely and remove your stencil.

Let out a big squeal because it actually worked this time!



I can't wait to try a few more projects with glass! What do you think?

Reunion Committee  – (October 7, 2010 at 8:24 AM)  

oh I LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!
pretty original idea there girlie!!!
~Tana

Hollyn  – (October 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM)  

Yes! I love it! Always losing or leaving our dishes somewhere too.....can't wait to do this to ours!

Jules  – (October 14, 2010 at 12:04 AM)  

This is the best idea ever! And with Christmas coming, wouldn't it be fun to do your cookie gift plates on glass with the recipients name on them? I must get past my fear of etching! {I think this tutorial is a step in that direction!} Thanks! jules

Amanda  – (October 25, 2010 at 7:51 AM)  

Hey I never thought of that! I posted on my blog how to make Christmas gifts for the men in our lives using etching (and of course stuffing the glass with food!) But I love this idea of the hello my name is on my dishes! :)

Unknown  – (June 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM)  

Love the idea! Do the dishes do ok in the wash? I don't supposed they can go in the dishwasher after can they? Thanks for all your great posts :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.