Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Upcycling for Organization



Somewhere between taking out the trash and trying to organize my craft studio, this little project came to life. You see, I've been learning to sew. Well, more like perfect my sewing skills since I have been known to sew a crooked seam or two in my day. Me and my seam ripper were once BFF's! Back to the point... Since I'm learning to sew of course when Joann's had their $0.99 pattern sale a few weeks ago I went and bought 10 that I would like to try one day. They didn't really have a place so I was looking for a basket that would let them stack nicely so I could easily find what I was looking for. Kind of like a mini pattern cabinet of sorts. Every basket or container I found was either too wide, not wide enough or too deep or not deep enough. You're smart. You get the point. So they just sat in a little pile as I moved onto organizing something else. Turns out I needed a garbage can in my craft studio like yesterday because scrap paper, scrap fabric, and God only knows what else made its way to the floor. So as I go to the pantry to get a garbage bag I take the last one. Crap, we're out of garbage bags! As I go to throw the empty box in the trash it hit me. This box with a little modification is the perfect size for my patterns. So long cleaning! Hello Mod Podge!

I started by cutting slits in the box from the opening to the top edge.


Then I could easily cut away the top leaving me the perfect size container for my patterns.


Next I cut strips of scrapbook paper to cover it with.


Bring on the Mod Podge! I just wrapped the box and covered it with Mod Podge. If you are trying this at home, make sure you cover the front with a solid piece so you don't have seams to the front. This box took 3 strips of 12" paper to cover it. And I didn't even cover the bottom. Don't tell! That's our little secret.

After it dried, I loaded it up and the patterns fit perfectly! It was so functional, but not as cute as I new it could be.


So I head to my vinyl stash from Expressions Vinyl and the Cricut and I cut out the word "Patterns" with my SCAL software. Thank God for transfer tape. I can never eyeball anything straight.



In just a few minutes, it was good to go! It didn't cost me a thing and I saved a little piece of trash from a landfill.


Now my wheels are turning for what other boxes I could upcycle for other storage projects. I wonder what I could make out of a cereal box?

Check out the link parties where I am sharing this week!

Sarah North  – (June 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM)  

great idea! I could definitely use something like this for organizing in my classroom.

Ashley Jones  – (June 15, 2011 at 4:14 PM)  

I am so inspired by your blog and others I have been reading lately! I have just recently gotten into thrifty decorating and crafts, and have actually just completed my first piece of painted furniture! Exciting! I have posted photos on my blog:

www.zachandashleyjones.blogspot.com

Keep posting! :)

Lindsay Artsy-Fartsy Mama  – (June 15, 2011 at 4:33 PM)  

Fantastic idea, Kristy!! Loving your blog, thanks for following mine! :)

Desire Empire  – (June 15, 2011 at 5:09 PM)  

NOw that is cute. I am following you too now
Best Carolyn

Amy  – (June 17, 2011 at 4:49 PM)  

So cute! Love your blog!

Amy from Gabriels good tidings
Http://gabrielsgoodtidings.blogspot.com

Lisa {grey luster girl}  – (June 18, 2011 at 11:57 PM)  

Wahoo! I am follower number 400! I am off to enjoy more of your blog!

btrflykissez07  – (July 21, 2011 at 2:04 PM)  

As far as the cereal boxes go, I get a lot of magazines. With just a few quick cuts, and some covering, cereal boxes become magazine holders! I have probably 10 of them in my house.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.