Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Felt Donuts


Hang on to your keyboards ladies! This is going to be a good one. Have you ever done a project that just made you stare at it and smile... like even 12 hours post completion? Well, let me show you what I've been up to.


Are they not just the cutest little things?

Of course I'm going to give you the step by step tutorial so go grab yourself some felt, embroidery floss, polyfil and your sewing machine. I'll wait right here...

Ok, start by printing this template, (double click to enlarge)

pin the base piece to your felt.

Cut out two of the base pieces. I folded my felt in half and cut them out together so I knew my cuts would be exactly the same. Make a cut on the line from the outside of the circle to the middle point on the inside and make a small circle in the middle.

Once you have cut your pieces, sew them together using a 1/4" seam allowance making sure to backstitch at the beginning and end. Repeat for the inner circle.

Once you have the circles sewn,


turn your tube right side out.


I stuffed mine with the polyfil from a pillow that my washer tried to eat for lunch. Fill it until it's firm and the ends are starting to come together.


Tuck one end into the other and hand stitch closed.


Now, if you are a glazed donut kind of girl, you are finished. But if you prefer some icing and sprinkles, keep on goin'!

Cut out a topping template and cut one from a coordinating felt.

If you are planning to add sprinkles, I found that it is easier to do them before you attach the icing. You could also use seed beads to make the sprinkles if you wanted a little more sparkle than embroidery floss has. Then use a cross-stitch, blanket or whip stitch to attach it to the top. Make sure to do the inside and outside circles.


That's it! Aren't they precious?

You can do strawberry icing with sprinkles


or just some glazed varieties.




My nieces love Krispy Kreme so I think I'm going to go there and see if they would give me a new box and make a dozen for the girls. My little guy asked where the Chocolate Covered Kreme Filled was so I guess I'm going to try to make him one of those next! I'm using my favorite one as a pin cushion now.


Check out the Link Party tab in my sidebar to see where I will be sharing this week!

Anonymous –   – (December 31, 2010 at 11:40 AM)  

Those are so cute! I love the pincushion donut attached to your sewing machine. Such a cute idea!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants  – (January 1, 2011 at 11:22 PM)  

I LOVE felt food!!! I should stick with it and leave the real stuff alone! And using one as a pin cushion, brilliant!

RedTedArt  – (January 5, 2011 at 4:28 AM)  

Oh yummy! We like felt donuts too!! And have a set in our play kitchen!


I would LOVE for you to join us at Kids Get Crafty (with and for kids,every Wednesday on Red Ted Art) - current link up http://www.redtedart.com/2011/01/05/kids-get-crafty-3-kings-dressing-up/

Hope to see you there!

Maggy

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.