Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

My Pretties 3 | Pottery Barn 0 | And a Giveaway Later


The business first.

Be sure to come back later today for a giveaway from Candi's Thirty One Gifts! She's going to be giving away a great product that everyone can use.

Now on to my latest Pottery Barn Inspired art piece.

Everyone loves this piece from Pottery Barn.



It's fun and definitely would make a statement in any room... and in any wallet. I mean come on now Pottery Barn! So of course I went catalog browsing then shopping at Lowe's and recreated this little beauty for about $5.00.

I started with a 2'x2' piece of birch plywood. They come already cut in plywood panel section at Lowe's. You can get them 2' x 2' or 2' x 4'. I chose the 2' x 2' because I have a lust for squares.


Then I free-handed my numbers on the raw wood. I'm really not sure how I ended up with 2 sixes. Oops! I'm going to say it is because I was doing this at 11:30 last night. Funny story... I go in the basement and come up with a piece of plywood at 11:30 last night. Hubs is sitting on the sofa playing a video game and by the time I got to the kitchen to start working he yells out, "You know, most men would question why their wife is bringing up plywood from the basement at 11:30 at night... but not me!" I love that he thinks its cute when I get in my crafty mode because if he didn't, he'd probably be really annoyed with me by now. Anyway, back to the numbers. Don't stress out if they aren't perfect when you draw them. You can round them out and shape them up when you are painting. If you are super OCD, you could use graphite paper or the the outline and rub method of tracing your numbers perfectly. I wasn't feeling so OCD last night, and I like the way they turned out kinda messy.


Then I started filling in the letters with a warm white and a light tan color acrylic paint. I used Ceramicoat.

After that had dried, I started filling in the gaps with an espresso brown color making sure to straighten any really wonky lines.



Let that dry, then Click. Take a pic. Dear God I'm glad that my son is almost 7 and thinks that Dora is stupid now. I think Dora drove me as crazy as The Wiggles.


Pretty cute huh, for $5.00.

Be sure to check out the Link Parties tab on my sidebar to see where I am sharing this week!

Anonymous –   – (January 7, 2011 at 6:30 PM)  

Looks great! I love looking through Pottery Barn catalogs. Their stuff is ridiculously overpriced but most of it is so easy to recreate. I love how yours turned out!

Kelsey  – (January 7, 2011 at 9:55 PM)  

This turned our gorgeous! And you can't beat the price- thanks for checking out Tattered and Inked. I'll be browsing your blog now :) Love it!

Haverford House  – (January 8, 2011 at 6:11 PM)  

Love how this turned out! I like yours better than PB's! ~Marcy

Jenna, SAS Interiors  – (January 8, 2011 at 8:26 PM)  

Great project and amazing how inexpensive to create! I just found your website through the blogosphere and am your newest follower!! Please check out my Interior Design & Decor website, SAS Interiors @ www.sasinteriors.blogspot.com. Become a follower and Be Inspired!

~Jenna, SAS Interiors

Liz Marie  – (January 10, 2011 at 8:58 PM)  

I am sooooooooooooo happy I found your blog! I love your style!! & this inspires me so much!!! Thanks for posting it! xx Liz marie

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum}  – (January 11, 2011 at 10:02 AM)  

Really, really cute!!! nice job...and that takes a patient, steady hand to paint!!

angelica jackson  – (June 25, 2011 at 9:17 AM)  

love it! so glad I found your blog...off to check out more pretties!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.