Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Sweater made Pretty

I saw a cable knit sweater pillow in Pottery Barn's catalog and knew I could recreate it for a fraction of the cost. While I was at the thrift Store I picked up a off white knit sweater to make pretty.

Oh, no, no, no I didn't pay $1.98 for it. Yellow tags were 70% off! Cha-ching! $0.60 was more like it.

I picked up a few 4th of July Clearance Pillows from Walmart a few weeks ago and lucky for me, they were the exact shape I wanted for this prettify! I laid the pillow form on top of the sweater and cut it out the closest I could. My mom could sew a house together, but I on the other hand, I do what I can to make it work. She says it always looks like I cut things with toenail clippers. I think she's kidding, but I'm not sure.


After I got it as close as I could, I sewed up the bottom and left the existing side seams. The least sewing I have to do the better and I'm almost positive that the manufacture sews better than I do. This is when I started to get nervous. Let me tell you, if you've never sewn with knit, ahhh, it's not fun. That stuff grows legs and walks all over the machine. I think had I used pins it would have helped. Hindsight is 20/20, right? So after I got up the nerve to get going, it wasn't too bad. I tucked in a bit and started my seam, leaving a little opening to insert the pillow form. Luckily for me, this knit stretched like crazy and I didn't have to leave too big of an opening to get the form in. Yay! Not much hand sewing. Why when you are hand sewing does 3 inches seem like 3 yards? After it was complete, I decided it needed a little more pretty to it so I cut out 4 circles in varying sizes and stacked them together to form a messy flower and attached them with a button in the center. I just hand sewed it on.

It's almost Pottery Barn meets Anthropologie. Isn't that little flower cutie-patootie?


Things to add to to-do list: Iron Slipcover

Come join in Pottery Barn Challenge Party
Visit thecsiproject.com

Hollyn  – (August 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM)  

OMG! Too cute! Now I know what you've been doing since the "workshop" has been closed down for a couple of weeks! Cute pillow and I loovveee the new blog!

Anonymous –   – (August 28, 2010 at 8:32 AM)  

I could do this too! I need some new pillows for fall and have a sweater that can be sacrificed for this project. Thanks for the idea!

Honey I'm Home Blog  – (September 1, 2010 at 9:57 AM)  

Wow Kristy, you are one creative girl! Thanks for stopping by my blog so that I could see yours. I can't believe all the great projects. (Love the paint sample art!)

Warmly, Michelle

Amy Jo  – (September 1, 2010 at 10:35 AM)  

I love that pillow! And I loved your writing...made me laugh about cutting the fabric with nail clippers. Why DOES that happen? I use a rotary cutter most of the time these days which helps. Great score on the sweater!

Megan  – (September 8, 2010 at 9:46 PM)  

LOVE IT! I'm featuring this in a post on pb inspired things tomorrow on crazydomestic.com. Feel free to grab our "I was featured" button!

kelley @ the eclectic owl  – (September 9, 2010 at 10:07 PM)  

love the pillow and love the price! i always seem to browse through pottery barn for inspiration...and then find a cheaper way to get the same look! i'm so glad you found my blog so that i could find yours! now i'm your newest follower :)

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.