Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Trying... to get organized



Trying being the key word in my blog title. I'm so not an organizer. I keep half of my appointments in my Blackberry an the other half in Outlook and a few random things stored in my internal memory (these are the ones that usually fail me!) We all have so much going on and with my busiest work season quickly approaching, it's only going to get worse. In my attempt to keep everyone's appointments organized, I made this handy dandy little big weekly planner for us.

I started with a frame I bought at Big Lots forever ago. When I bought it, I thought that the frame was matted to hold 3 4x6 photos. Turns out, that was a fake and I really didn't want to pay to have a matte custom cut for me. What a nasty trick Big Lots! So, into the stash-o-frames it went. Today, it is brought back to life.


I laid out the words in my Sure Cuts A Lot software. If you own a Cricut, you MUST have this software. Goodbye high priced cartridges!



Then I loaded my Cricut with black vinyl.



Let me pause to give a shout out to Expressions Vinyl. I ordered all these wonderful colors and they were on my door step before I could blink an eye. Okay, so maybe not that fast, but you get the point.

Then I began cutting the design straight from the SCAL software.




After it was done cutting, then came the tricky part. I am so not the math person. I channeled my inner 7th grader and figured out that if I had 8 headings and 30 inches to work with, I needed to space them 3.75" apart. Quit laughing. I told you I wasn't good at math. I'm still not sure how to do fractions. Then I had the problem of getting them on the glass straight. I was really wishing that the roll of transfer tape that I've put into my buggy (or shopping cart for you Northerners!) and taken out 14 times this month had actually made it home with me. It's $8.00 Kristy! Buy the flippin' transfer tape already! I drew lines 3.75" apart and began laying the vinyl. It wasn't going terribly, but it wasn't great either. I managed...barely.

It's looking good, right?


Ah, it needed something else. It seems that I don't have a piece of 8x30 scrapbook paper in my stash, but I do have this little number I picked up at the thrift store last week for $0.79.

Yes, it's burlap. But not just a scrap of burlap. It's a whole stinking bolt... for $0.79. Shut.the.front.door. What a stellar deal.

So I cut a piece to fit the frame and framed it just like you do a photo.



Mr. I-Like-to-Hammer-Things hung it for me on the side of our pantry so we can all stay in the know about what is going on for the week. I think it's just cute enough for me to actually write something down on it to! You'll have to ask me if I update it on Sunday! Maybe I should add "update calendar" to Sunday's events.


I'm wondering how many Sharpies I will loose in the trash when it falls off the lip of the frame?



And, a close-up of our favorite day! Saturday! Here's to hoping that the Tide puts a whoopin' on Florida this weekend!


Check out the Party link in my sidebar to see where I'm linking up this week!

AmberFreeman  – (September 29, 2010 at 2:06 AM)  

Love this! So creative!

And...

ROLL TIDE!!!

Reunion Committee  – (September 29, 2010 at 7:32 AM)  

love love love this!!! So creative and USEFUL!
~Tana

Cathy  – (September 29, 2010 at 9:10 AM)  

Great project, love it! That's funny about losing your sharpie the garbage, our chalkboard was above the garbage can and we were always searching for our eraser in the can!

Mrs. Patrick  – (September 29, 2010 at 9:48 AM)  

LOve it, minus the Bama game on Sat lol
(I'm a tiger fan)

Anonymous –   – (September 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM)  

I just wanted to let you know that I have passed a blog award on to you! :) http://www.polishthestars.com/2010/09/pinching-pennies-and-blog-awards.html

Kara B. Oliver  – (September 30, 2010 at 6:42 PM)  

You rock the house girl. Love all of your ideas.

Page  – (October 5, 2010 at 2:57 PM)  

I know you posted this last week, but I just found your blog - love, love this idea!! So great - thanks for sharing!

Page

Anonymous –   – (October 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM)  

Great project! Love it!
Bernice

Jen @ lil Mop Top  – (October 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM)  

I love it! I have seen so many similar ones but yours is my favorite by far! Now I just need to buy a cricut and vinyl... :)

Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian  – (October 24, 2010 at 8:40 PM)  

Love this idea... so is it easy to get sharpie off the glass???

Kristy  – (October 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM)  

It's super easy! I usually just go over it with a Clorox wipe and it's good to go again!

Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian  – (October 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM)  

Awesome! I totally shared you on my facebook fanpage, Pirates-n-Princesses!!! Thanks!!

Jenna Scott  – (October 27, 2010 at 11:40 AM)  

I'm terrified to use a sharpie on glass, so I'm going to try this with a dry erase marker... think it will look as classy?

MelissaO  – (November 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM)  

I can't wait to try this!! Quick question.... did you attach the vinyl to the inside or the outside of the glass? I'm just thinking that if it's on the outside, cleaning it with a wipe week after week would cause it to come off.

gabricci  – (June 19, 2011 at 8:02 AM)  

Genius. Now I just need to get a Cricut!!

Kaylee  – (December 31, 2011 at 1:28 PM)  

Where can you buy the SCAL software and does it work with the cricut expression? I just purchased my cricut a few months ago so still new :) Thank you

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.