Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

When accessories become functional

For some reason I got 2 juice containers out of the trash the other day. I figured there was something I could do with them. I thought about saving several to make luminaries out of them to light out sidewalk for Halloween but then I had a better idea. I am still having the what to put on our coffee table dilemma. The criteria... 1. Not breakable 2. Not too big. 3. Still make a statement in the room. Fast forward to this morning. I set out with the biggest of intentions to get clean up our home. That was until I put away the Yahtzee game that was left out from the other night. I see all those dice and it hit me. I could make 2 oversized dice from the cardboard containers I rescued from garbage day. The cleaning immediately ceased. The Mod Podge, scrapbook paper and the Cricut trump cleaning any day, right?

So, I started with this.



I measured the width and cut the height accordingly to get a square then cut the leftover piece to fit the top. After taping it down, I ended up with a cube.






I used the same measurements and cut out scrapbook paper to wrap around the cube and Mod Podged it down.

After the cube was completely covered, I used my distress ink to rub the edges.



It's looking pretty good so far!

Then I got out my Cricut and cut a sheet of brown 1" circles. After I saw all those dots, I thought that these would be a great way to practice addition and subtraction at home with our little guy since they use the "dots" in first grade to learn how to add and subtract. Tricky little mama I am! He'll never even know we are studying when we are playing with these cute little ditties!


I Mod Podged the dots on and then gave it a final coat of Mod Podge to seal everything up and give them a little shine.



So, do they pass the coffee table test? Yep! They look too cute sitting on a tray on the table.

I'm linking up to The CSI Project this week! Check it out for more great ideas!
Visit thecsiproject.com
Get Your Craft On Tuesday
Photobucket
Make it Yours @ My Backyard EdenShow and Tell GreenThe Trendy Treehousegiveaways

Maggie  – (September 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM)  

Wow - I cannot believe what you started with to make these!

Adorable.

KimMalk  – (September 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM)  

What a great idea - I like the way you think :).

Becca  – (September 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM)  

This is adorable!I will be featuring it on BCD on Sept. 16th! Thanks for the link!

Marie {Make and Takes}  – (September 8, 2010 at 6:52 PM)  

What?! This started from a carton?! I love it. So cute.

Unknown  – (September 9, 2010 at 9:25 AM)  

These are so stinkin' cute! I can't believe they are made from juice cartons - I thought they were wood blocks from the picture. My son loves to play with dice....this would be such an awesome addition to our coffee table too!

Heidi  – (September 9, 2010 at 10:01 PM)  

oh my gosh, this is TOO cute! I LOVE that you used those juice cartons to make these!

Staci J  – (September 10, 2010 at 12:08 AM)  

LOVE this idea!! I featured you on my blog tonight!
http://justsewsassy.com/2010/09/09/friday-features-my-picks-this-week/

Angie - Big Bears Wife  – (September 10, 2010 at 8:28 PM)  

saw your dice on http://justsewsassy.com. they are super cute!

Kara  – (September 15, 2010 at 9:43 AM)  

This is adorable and I LOVE that it came from juice containers!! SO crafty!! Great job, and great job being sneaky with the "teacher" part of the dice!

AUDRA  – (September 20, 2010 at 5:15 PM)  

Awesome! I will be making some for our family game night! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.