Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Chalkboard Message Center



Don't forget! You still have a few hours to enter to win a $25.00 gift certificate to Expressions Vinyl here

I love my weekly calendar but I still need a place to keep all the little notes and reminders that don't have a specific date. I saw a message center in a home I recently visited that i loved. Theirs was made of luan (thin plywood) framed in 1x4s. My intention was to do the same thing... right up until I realized that on my trip to Lowe's to get the 1x4 I had forgotten said 1x4. Duh! So, being that I have zero patience, I had to come up with another alternative. It just so happens that I have 42 of the 2000 new cabinet doors in my attic that my mom somehow acquired years ago and I managed to skeeze somewhere along the way. Thanks, Mom! So, I started with this


and gave it a couple light coats of this


and then taped off the edges and painted the center with this.

After everything was dry, I sanded the edges a little bit and mixed some brown and white paint with water like this and painted on rough polka dots like this.

Once everything was dry, I added a sawtooth hanger and screwed in one of these

upside down, to make this.

The cabinet pull is perfect for holding your chalk!

My mom came by and she quickly put dibs in on this one so I guess I'm going to have to make myself another one.

Just in case you were wondering... Chalkboard paint does work. It erases just fine. It look me 954 tries to write a message on the board to take a picture to post. At some point along the way, it had our Thanksgiving menu. Then it had random notes I need to remember. Then at some point it said "Why do I write like a 3rd grader?" then it said "arrrgggg!!!" When I thought my mom was coming to repo it, I just scribbled my blog address on it and had to be okay with it to get the picture before it left me. I wish I had cute handwriting like all these people

I'm partying over on the right sidebar! Be sure to check out all the other great ideas at the parties these fabulous hosts are hosting.

Goldilocks  – (November 1, 2010 at 10:14 PM)  

See you are just to good. I have a board like that at my house that I bought at Christmas Village a couple of years ago. I love mine and use it every day. I hung it on the wall at the top of my basement stairs so I see it and all my notes every time I walk in my house. Mine is magnetic too! You should use magnetic paint on the next one! Love all the projects keep them coming. I also need to know how to get dibs on some of those cabinet doors ;)

Kristy  – (November 1, 2010 at 10:23 PM)  

My mom actually has a building in B'ham that she uses for storage and she says she literally has hundreds of them there. We are going to go check it out this week and see if we can get to them because I need tons more. I'll let you know! I'm sure if there are as many as she says there are, she can part with a few! :) I thought about using magnetic paint too. I just haven't found any yet that is super strong?!

Wendy  – (November 2, 2010 at 2:19 PM)  

Love it! Too funny though, I just made a chalkboard out of an cabinet door too ~ and blogged about it yesterday!

Blissful & Domestic  – (August 11, 2011 at 10:51 PM)  

I love it! just saw you on F&J new follower. You rock!

Robin  – (January 5, 2015 at 4:10 PM)  

What kind of cricut did you use?

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.