Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

Will you still come around?

Let me tell you a little story. Sometime this past January the hubs and I decided to paint our kitchen cabinetry. After that we decided to replace the overhead light fixture. I couldn't figure out why the light wasn't mounting correctly so I called my mom over to help. Fast forward about 3 minutes and I am missing part of the ceiling in the kitchen. About an hour after that, I had no ceiling. We ended up rewiring the kitchen, replacing the sheetrock on all the ceiling and walls, tiling... the whole shebang in about 3 weeks. I was NOT intending on gutting the kitchen but when my mom said "Bring me a hammer." all hell broke loose from there. I do love my kitchen now though so I guess in the end, it was worth all the callouses, the broken fingernails and sore bones.

The other day, my mom came over to show me how to wind a bobbin on my new sewing machine my grandmother gave me. Thank you a ton, Monar! Somehow we went from winding bobbins, to working on a patchwork quilt for my little guy to, somewhere along the way she says "Go get me a hammer." and she tears out part of the paneling in our bathroom. This was definitely on our to-do list, but it was pretty far down! We took down the awful paneling that had been painted 47 times and discovered a few things... huge holes, small holes, water damage, mold... At this point my chest was hurting and I thought I was going to have the big one. Not only did we take the paneled walls down, we took up 4 layers of flooring and the tub surround. We were doing some serious demo work over here. Yes, the neighbors love us!

I am now into Day Two of the project and of course I have taken photos along the way. It's just so gross and yuck I'm not sure you even want to see the progress. Would you? If not, I can wait and do the revealing when it's complete, which I hope is in 2 weeks or less. Who am I kidding? We have to replace subflooring, sheetrock, the tub, tile the enclosure, tile the floor, add beadboard, patch a billion holes, paint, accessorize... All I know is I hate taking baths and I need my shower back, like now!

So, do you want to see the nitty gritty? It's absolutely crazy what hides behind walls in a 50 year old house. It's embarrassing really. I'll show you though if you want... if you promise you'll still come back around!

I'm off to take a bath to wash the dust from mudding and sanding out of my hair. I'm lookin' a little gray.

Alice  – (November 9, 2010 at 11:21 PM)  

I promise to still visit :) I love seeing before and after pictures!

Laura at Ms. Smartie Pants  – (November 9, 2010 at 11:25 PM)  

I am thinking maybe you should go to your moms house and not have her over any more and if she insist on coming... hide the hammers! Good luck!

Lacey McKay  – (November 9, 2010 at 11:28 PM)  

I can wait to see the before and afters together. Either way, I'll come back! Your mom sounds like my kind of girl! That's just the sort of thing I WANT to do when I go over to other people's houses. I can imagine in twenty years when it's my own daughter's house, I'll be asking for a hammer too! ha!

Anonymous –   – (November 9, 2010 at 11:37 PM)  

Girl, you crack me up! But you also scare me with your statement about fifty-year-old houses hiding things in the walls. My husband and I are FINALLY beginning a big, HUGE renovation on our 108-year-old farmhouse next week--- so I'm sure I'm in for some real unexpected 'treats', too!

PS: I'd love to see pictures--- it'll make me feel like I'm not alone in this! :)

Stephina  – (November 10, 2010 at 5:30 AM)  

At least you finish projects in a fairly quick time frame. When the hubs went all demo crazy on our bathroom, we were without for 2 months. (Only bathroom in the house, we got creative).

Before and after picks are the best, please post. It's incredible to see the transformation, and even the in-between. Cracks me up that it's your Mum who gets you "motivated" to renovate. Love it.

Reunion Committee  – (November 10, 2010 at 8:06 AM)  

I want to see.. Love that stuff!! Make you appreciate "the after" all the more!
~Tana

April  – (November 10, 2010 at 9:23 AM)  

Yes! Let's see it. We'll get excited with you over the potential and the after shots. :)

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor.com  – (November 10, 2010 at 9:50 AM)  

No more handing your mom hammers! lol.
Just kidding, I think it's great that she's forcing you to accomplish things on your to do list. It'll also be healthier to get those moldy walls out of your house.

Goldilocks  – (November 10, 2010 at 12:38 PM)  

Love the story and I would love to see the pictures that go with it! Good Luck!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.