Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

12 days... Can I do it?

We have done it again. I decided to have my little guys birthday party at our house and as he's gotten older our guest list has grown exponentially. Uh, I just spelled that without spell check! Go me! Last year we had about 40 at the party and it was pretty cramped. What's the solution? We have a room in our home that has been dubbed "the back room" that has never really been functional or even needed really, that is 250 square feet of wasted space. It had carpet that we ripped up after a little flood in the kitchen, ugly paneled walls and popcorn ceiling. It has no overhead light or anything. It's basically a 10x25 room that has no purpose just to collect stuff that didn't have another place and boy did I do it right. Most people have a junk drawer. We have a junk room. It is was filled to the brim with everything.

Like I said, it had yucky popcorn ceiling.


The only lighting were these fancy Christmas lights my ex-husband thought would give it a nice ambiance.


And it had a whole lotta junk.


And more junk.

So, yesterday we started cleaning it out and moving everything to the basement. Today we gutted it to the studs removing the paneling and the asbestos siding that was the exterior of the house before the addition was made.

Once it was all torn out, we scraped the ceilings to remove the popcorn and then spent the next few hours cleaning that huge mess up.


When my dear sweet husband gets home from work and I resuscitate (I had to use spell check on that one!) him from his cardiac arrest, we are going to head to Lowe's and get our supplies to start rebuilding. I'm so glad he loves me so much, or he'd probably beat me when he got home. I really should beat myself!

So, on the to-do list...
Remove 246,000 nails
Finish cleaning popcorn mess
Rewire existing plugs and switches
Add 4 additional wall outlets
Add overhead lighting
Frame out new wall to increase square footage of the bathroom connected to the space.
Add exterior plug on the back patio
Hang Drywall and finish
Replace trim
Carpet

I think that's all we are shooting for right now.

The party is on the 29th and in addition to this little project I still have to finish the bathroom crown molding that I haven't finished yet, hang the door trim around the not-so-new kitchen door, hang our new over the stove microwave, clean the entire house, bake a two tiered cake complete with fondant figurines, decorate for the party (I'm making a ton of cute Mario themed decorations), a little yard work, and I really want to build a table for the hallway...

Does anyone have any Benedryl? I think I just broke out in hives....

Heather  – (January 17, 2011 at 5:49 PM)  

Oh Kristy, I hear your pain! There is nothing like hosting a social event to get house projects done! Good luck! I'm sure afterwards you'll be so very happy!

Goldilocks  – (January 18, 2011 at 8:03 PM)  

Oh my goodness I am not sure you are going to sleep for the next 12 days. But I wish you the best of Luck! If anyone can do it, you can! I can't wait to see the finished product!

The Pruitt's  – (January 19, 2011 at 8:44 PM)  

AMBITIOUS! I can't wait to see the finished project. I so need your energy, ideas and creativity at my house.

Barbara  – (January 25, 2011 at 10:42 PM)  

This made me think of my brother. He would always have to paint his house before any party. I felt his wife's pain.

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.