Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

I deserve a mani & a pedi... and I owe my mom one!


We have worked our hands until they bled and our feet until they reached the point of amputation feeling like a better alternative to the pain. I'm talking some serious pain, guys. I am usually pretty tough cookie but this job got to me... bad! I think it was the serious pressure of having such a crazy time line and the feeling that there was absolutely no way in the world we would make it.

12 days ago we started with this


A 10 x 22 room that we tore out the room to the studs.


We scraped the ceilings to remove the popcorn circa 1976.

We rewired all the existing plugs and switches and added 4 new plugs for my computer, Sewing machine, iron and of course the hot glue gun!


We framed a new wall to divide the space

then installed 2 prehung doors.

We hung new drywall

and did a whole lotta muddin'

and sanding.

We added wiring in the ceiling to have an overhead light (A video of that would have definitely made $100,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos since we had about 10 inches to work with in the attic!)

We hung a ceiling fan.

We painted the walls. Let me give Valspar Signature Series a big high five! I was lazy We didn't have time to prime first since it was new drywall and the Valspar paint covered perfectly!


We knocked out 400 nails from the existing crown and baseboards, filled holes, painted and re-cut to fit the new dimensions of the room.

After all that was done, we laid new eco-friendly laminate wood flooring. It is gorg! Another high five for laminate! So easy to install, so durable and looks great.


When did we finish all this? Last night! Today was the party so we had about 20 hours to relocate all the tools, trash, drywall dust, pressure wash the deck, blow the yard, bake a birthday cake, decorate for a party and be presentable for guests at 2:00. What time did I get out of the shower and ready? About 1:49. But we did it. I didn't even have time to take a picture before the room was transformed for the party.

I'll have to do that tomorrow when I clean up the mess.

Now I'm going to bed...

Reunion Committee  – (January 30, 2011 at 9:05 AM)  

HOLY Smokes that post had me exhausted JUST reading it! I can not believe you and your mom! heck you two deserve a massage as well!
Cant wait to see the pics!
~Tana

Heather  – (January 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM)  

Oh my goodness! I don't know how you did it. You certainly deserve a big hug...I probably would have give up from exhaustion. In the end, it will certainly be wonderful to have that new space!

Hopping Along  – (February 9, 2011 at 12:00 PM)  

OMG!! Amazing!! Had you ever hung drywall or run electricity before? You two re-define the term "Do-it HER-selfers!" What kind of eco-floor did you use? It does look great and probably the only project I'd be willing to try out of your list of things!!

Kristy  – (February 9, 2011 at 4:08 PM)  

It's funny that you called us do-it-yourself-hers! There are two men completely renovating the house next door and we'll chat if we happen to be outside cutting or something at the same time. They call us that too. I've caught them just standing there watching... they might be concerned that I'm about to cut off a finger or they might be impressed. I'm not sure which one!

Anyway, yes, I've done a few drywall projects before. It is really not hard, and doesn't require any fancy-schmansy tools. It's just a whole lotta waiting! You REALLY have to be patient.

As far as electrical, I'm mostly the tool girl on that part of things. I don't trust myself enough. I've wired a few plugs (there is a tutorial on that a many pages back!) and I fish the wires that mom tells me to. Without her though, I'd be lost!

The flooring was pretty easy too. It was on sale for like $0.69/sf. I don't recall the name brand but it just said that it was eco-flooring made from recycled materials and something about the process they used to apply the veneer on top used lower power consumption and safe bonding chemicals.

Thanks for commenting!

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.