Hello & Welcome to My Pretties!
I'm so glad you stopped by to see what is going on in my little world of DIYing, crafting, building, sewing and repurposing. Please say hello and let me know you came by. Be sure to leave your blog address in your comment so I can be inspired by you too! If you like what you see, be sure to click the little "Follow this Blog" link over there on the right.

My New Desk

Let me start by saying Ana White ROCKS! I have so many of her plans just waiting to be built. So much to do. So little time.

This project just couldn't wait any longer. See, my "office" which consisted of a constantly cluttered too small desk was in my dining room and that just wasn't working for me. It was part of my new craft studio that we built to create a space for my computer and office stuff to live happily ever after. So, I took my perfect little plans and headed to the big blue store to get my lumber cut and we were off building. I could have went to Pottery Barn if I won the lottery and bought 2 of these for $450.00 plus the top for another $200.00. And get this... Theirs is made of MDF! Not knocking MDF or anything but mine of made from birch plywood and it's not going anywhere for a loooooooong time. 2 points for my version!


Since Ana has the most awesome plans ever, I skipped the photo tutorial stuff and we'll just get right down to the good stuff.

We started by building 2 of the bases but altering them just a bit to accommodate the big honkin' PC tower. Ugly, yes! Necessary, unfortunately so! In hindsight I wish I had made them just a tad wider so that the even uglier big honkin' printer would have fit inside a cubbie, but apparently that thought crossed my mind about 6 cuts and 20 screws too late. It really works out well though. My hot off the press papers are at my fingertips with this arrangement.



After we built the 2 bases, I bought a gorgeous wood panel for the top. Is it sad that I love a piece of wood so much? It really is gorgeous. The warmth of the color, the grain of the wood, the smooth and shiny surface--be still my heart.


Hey look! There is the memo board I made last week. It is perfect for the empty space over there!


I still have to figure out how to conceal all these wires. They get on my nerves something serious!


So there you have it! My new desk/office space. It cost me less than $80.00 to build. If you have a drill and a saw, don't be afraid to try something yourself. It really is easy to build furniture. You just have to take it one step at a time.

The Three Beauties  – (April 15, 2011 at 11:33 AM)  

This desk is on my to do list too!! For our cords we, (my husband) got some of this gray foam pipe insulation, in the plumbing dept. it is already cut on one side and you can wrap your cords inside. It doesn't look pretty, but if you tuck it behind your desk it keeps all the cords together!

Unknown  – (April 15, 2011 at 3:35 PM)  

It‘s so nice that I found your blog about your link on 'Chic on a Shoestring Decorating'. So I’ve scrolled a little and like what I see. Now I’m your new follower! ;)

Take care
Tine

Misty  – (April 15, 2011 at 10:35 PM)  

I say get a piece of primed beadboard or thing MDF, cut it to size and stick it back there behind your desk to conceal the cords. GREAT JOB!

Wendy  – (April 16, 2011 at 12:04 AM)  

Super cute! How about a piece of white beadboard to cover the wires. They would still be back there but the bead board would hide them.

Mel  – (April 17, 2011 at 8:19 AM)  

Fantastic! Ana does have the best plans. Love how your desk turned out.

Craftacularworld  – (April 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM)  

For your cords how about flexible drainage piping? You could spray paint it white and attach it to the back and sides of your desk to hide them!
( love your blog!)

Alice  – (April 25, 2011 at 5:02 PM)  

To hide all the cords that somehow link to our tv, I got a piece of foam board, covered it with contact paper and just stuck it in front of the cords. It's so much better than looking at all the nasty cords!

Jana  – (May 29, 2011 at 6:25 PM)  

I love Anna and I love your desk even more. the dark wood table top is perfect!
xo Jana

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments! Let me know what you think or just say hi and let me know you stopped by.